"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."
Thomas Paine

Monday, August 23, 2010

A Rambling Patriotic Cops View of the Bill of Rights - Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I hear this all the time (on at least more than I can remember).  You violated my freedom of speech.  It is usually when they won't shut up, after they have been arrested.  At that point, I really don't care what you say.  Just be quite until we get back to the PD.  Anyway.  I decided to write this as a police officers view of what the Bill of Rights say in pseudo layman's terms. 

They very first words (Congress shall make no law).  Obama had it right.  The Constitution and Bill of Rights is a negative document.  It says what the Government can't do to its citizenry.  But that's a good thing.  Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.  To me this reads that Congress either shouldn't be making laws to create a religion or maybe in support for or against a particular religion.  It shouldn't get in the way of how a person chooses to follow his or her religion.  Maybe we need a new religion.  Patriocostal.  And our "holy land" is Washington D.C. where we must make a pilgrimage to sing the National Anthem at the foot of the Lincoln Memorial.  I'm sure Pelosi's head would implode if that were to happen.

Congress shall make no law to abridge freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble.  I think I heard that Kenya has a New Obama friendly constitution.  One full of "positive's" that the government can do to its people.  Freedom of speech was the first to go.  I think personally that you have the right to say anything (as long as it doesn't border harassment).  Like for instance, I love bulldogs but I'll sure them as an example.  If I say I can't stand bulldogs and a bulldog gets offended because I said that, then who cares?  It doesn't matter.  It would be my opinion or my view of the bulldog. 

I have to listen to gay rights crap on the news all the time and I am offended.  But that doesn't mean that because I am offended that I have the right to censor others voice on the matter.  Or Christian tee shirts.  I cringe when I hear about students sent home from school because of what their tee shirt reads.  Come on people.  Get a grip... Hhhmmmm, I'm offended cause am a little whiny girly boy.  Get over it.  

Freedom of Press.  Well the Government should dictate what the press does stories on.  Or maybe they shouldn't censor what the press does stories on.

Peaceful assembly anyone.  Standing in the middle of Talladega Blvd. during race week is not a proper place to peacefully demonstrate.  And you should be arrested (for your own safety).  Getting in the way of that many race fans (some who may actually be card carrying rednecks) could be hazardous to your health.  Wait, change that.  Go ahead and let that be a well earned "life lesson".  All I am saying is to use common sense.  If you want to gather on private property, make sure it is yours or someones property that likes you (or at the least, tolerates you).  Or how about this.... Ask for permission.  Wow, there is a novel idea.  If it is private property and the owner asks you to leave, then by all means leave (especially if the police have also asked you to leave).  That is call trespassing if you don't.  And it is a very arrestable offense in Alabama.

And the last, to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.  I should be able to tell the government that they are a bunch of boneheads with out worrying about retaliation.  Sounds simple enough.  You'd be surprised.  

There you go.  I'll post more later.

M~

No comments: