"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."
Thomas Paine

Monday, August 23, 2010

A Rambling Patriotic Cops View of the Bill of Rights - Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms.

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. 

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The Second Amendment - this is a good one folks.  Lets looks at the first part.  A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State.  Here we go talking about Militias.  What is a Militia?  Well for those of you that are unsure, here is what our friends at the World Dictionary say:

World English Dictionary
militia — n
1. a body of citizen (as opposed to professional) soldiers
2. an organization containing men enlisted for service in emergency only

Dictionary.com has Militia listed as:

mi·li·tia –noun
1. a body of citizens enrolled for military service, and called out periodically for drill but serving full time only in emergencies.
2. a body of citizen soldiers as distinguished from professional soldiers.
3. all able-bodied males considered by law eligible for military service.
4. a body of citizens organized in a paramilitary group and typically regarding themselves as defenders of individual rights against the presumed interference of the federal government.

I am going to stick with my World English Dictionary.  Number 4 on the Dictionary.com makes me think it was written by some far left liberal college professor.  So, it is safe to say that a Militia is a loosely formed group of citizens who are not necessarily professional soldiers, who in emergency's, ban together to defend their country or community.  Sounds good to me.

Actually, here in Alabama, there is a State run Militia.  It is called the Alabama State Defense Force.  I don't know a lot about them except that the few people that I have met were very professional (one is even a Constitutional Attorney).  I also seem to remember hearing that they could only be activated by the Governor or Lt. Governor (maybe) and that they only served within the State.  I guess that means that Go. Riley couldn't order them up and send them marching to Panama City, Florida for maneuvers.

I know that there are different types of groups in each state.  Some maybe better run than others.  But that's neither here nor there.  The Second Amendment states that the people have a right to form a Militia in defense of the state.  Actually, it says that their right to form a Militia shall not be infringed.

Wow... so if a Militia is a loosely formed group of citizens who are not necessarily professional soldiers, who in emergency's, ban together to defend their country or community.  Why is the Arizona Militia not running the Mexican Drug Runners out from the border.  I know "undocumented democrats", I mean illegal immigrants are a different matter entirely, but armed drug runners with the cartels.  I have not seen it but hear that there are places near the Arizona border that are OFF LIMITS to Americans because the freakin' drug dealers are running through there.  That is bull freakin' crap.

Hhhmmmm.... think of my happy place.  Anyway, that is another topic for another day as well.  So a Militia is a good thing according to the Bill of Rights.  And I know that there are fruit loops out there.  The Hutteree for example.  I know that they were targeting Police to get at the Government.  Well, that's just not smart.  I as a police officer ain't got nuthin' to do with no Government.  But, I think for them most part people that are in Militias are patriotic Americans who only want whats best for their community's and I can't blame them for trying to prepare. 

Lets look at the second part.  The right of the people to keep and bear Arms.  Well, that also sound pretty straight forward.  People of this country have a right to keep and bear arms (weapons).  I'll also mention that that right shall not be infringed as well.  Who said that an armed society is a polite society? Robert A. Heinlein I think.  I may be wrong.  He went a little further and said that "manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."  If everyone was armed, I think thugs and thieves would think twice before home invasions or robberies.

All of this could really be boiled down to the right to defend oneself.  And you could say family, friends and fellow citizen. 

And while I'm talking about it, let me say.  I get asked a lot when I'm going to start going door to door taking peoples guns.   I posted this on another forum as well.  Well, let me tell you.  You won't ever find me going door to door.  And there are three simple reasons. 

1.  It's not Constitutional.  Plain and simple.  That is the measuring stick to end all measuring sticks.
2.  I am not going to let some old man give me his gun.  And I say that as in barrel first while pointed in my direction with a bullet screaming down the pipe.  That ain't happening either.
3.  If the government ever did take the populations gun.  Who do you think they would come after next.  That's right the Poe Poe.

So in closing. Support your local gun store.  Buy a gun or two and become proficient with it.  Heck buy a good knife while you are at it.  Learn all you can about firearm safety and choose to not be a victim.  Heck, learn how to hunt if you don't already.  There is my two cents.   

Mike~

No comments: